The creation of the gardens of the Medina in Marrakesh dates back to the 12th century, during the reign of the Almohad dynasty, at the request of King Abdelmoumen Almohade to serve as a training ground for soldiers to bathe and create a place conducive to life residents as orchards for agriculture.
Al-Menara Park is one of the oldest gardens in Western Islamic and its first historians date back to the reign of Almohad sultan Abdelmoumen Ben Ali. The pawn indicates that the founder of the Almohad state, on his return from Sale in 1157, had planted the lake of Marrakech, a large orchard surrounded by a fence and equipped with a huge reservoir to store large quantities of water For its part, the author of foresight indicates that Abdelmoumen, west of the city, towards Nafis, has planted a garden in front of his palace, this which suggests that it is a garden of Menara and its large cistern.
The important water needs for irrigation have been blocked by the Almoravids technique created by the Almoravids since the 10th century and adopted by their united predecessors who developed the network of surface channels. According to the son of the owner of the prayer, the completion of this park was done by the scientist Haji Ibn Yaish. In addition to its role of multiple interest, the water tank was used to train members of the Almohad army to swimming in preparation for the passport to Andalusia.
During the Saadiyya period, the sources refer to the lighthouse garden in 1579, where the princes repaired and reused it as a resting place. Later, Sultan Alawi, Sidi Mohamed Ben Abdallah, built the current wing, including a rest and rest cabin.
The building is surrounded by a wall of rubble. It consists of two floors and is topped with a traditional pyramidal roof covered with green tiles. The basement dedicated to the harem and the servants is composed of four tall columns and open rooms. It leads to a balcony overlooking the water pond leading to a high terrace. They offer a superb and complete view of the garden and the cistern. The arch that leads to the outside bears inscriptions bearing the praises of the prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and the date of its construction in 1286 AH (1869-1870 AD)
The building’s decoration is composed of overlapping geometric friezes, painted on the walls and polychrome wooden ceilings, as well as multicolored shapes and zigzags.
The Menara Park offers the typical and classic form of Moroccan royal gardens, similar to those of the Agdal gardens of Marrakech, the Souani cistern of Meknes and Jnane El Sabil in Fez. But it seems difficult to make a comparison with the majority of the tanks of the city of Kairouan in Tunisia, which does not look like it from the point of view of the form or the mode of preparation and construction. It seems more likely to seek out its origins and sources of influence in gardens and the main water sources in Andalusia, especially Granada and Cordoba.
As you sink into the lighthouse garden, it is full of surprises. In fact, it is a time capsule that takes you through centuries testifying to the succession of kings and dynasties, while this building is still facing changes to become a facet of the city and a pride of the people of Marrakech.